Recipe: Stewed Quince with Lemon and Vanilla
Summary: Stunning Autumn Quince dish
- 6 yellow quinces
- 1.5 litres (3 pints) cold water
- 4 cups sugar juice
- 2 lemons
- vanilla bean
- Wash downy fur from quinces Pack into enameled cast iron pot and add water and vanilla bean that has been split down the middle with a knife.
- Bring to the boil over high heat and boil rapidly for 30 minutes
- Turn quinces over and slow simmer for 5 hours on a very low heat
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice
- Serve on their own with cooking syrup or with Creme Anglaise
Keep the syrup, you can make a custard with it by whisking it into beaten egg yolks. Use it to deglaze a pan after cooking any game meats for a great sauce. Syrup can be used as a glaze.
Cooking time (duration): 300
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: Persian
Microformatting by hRecipe.