Summary: Delicious melt in the mouth tenderloin eye fillet with herb sauce
- 4-5 lb (2-3kg) tenderloin (eye fillet)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsely
- 1 bunch cilantro (corriander)
- 1 bunch sweet basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin zest and juice of one lime zest and juice of one lemon salt pepper
- Trim tenderloin of silver and fat, marinate in one cup of olive oil, 3 cloves chopped garlic, and season with salt and pepper. This can marinate from 1 – 24 hours.
- In a food processor, combine green herbs, cumin and pepper and process gradually pouring in olive oil.
- Add zest and pulse. Remove to a bowl and stir in juice and vinegar.
- Heat cast iron pan until extremely hot. Slide tenderloin onto pan, take care as the marinating oil will probably ignite. Leave for 30 seconds then turn one quarter, continue turning until steak is seared black around outside.
- Remove to oven and roast at 160C (320F)for 20-30 minutes. Remove meat from oven and leave to stand on a board covered with a tea cloth to keep warm for 10 minutes. To serve slice into steaks and spoon sauce on top.
If you have a meat thermometer, when you pull the tenderloin out of the oven – Rare – 120 degrees F. Medium Rare – 125 degrees F. Medium – 130 degrees F. Best to cook this dish outdoors if you can, it will generate plenty of smoke and flame.
Great on a bed of potato and celeriac mash with butter, cream and olive oil stirred in, with some white truffle oil drizzled over the top
Cooking time (duration): 60
Number of servings (yield): 8
Microformatting by hRecipe.